Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Homemade Naan in less than an hour

I wanted a way to make lentils taste better and after google searching for ideas, it seemed that going Indian was the way to go.  Sounds like a great idea, but when you think of Indian, you think of Naan!

I decided to make some Naan to go along with my homemade Indian Inspired feast, but learned that making Naan could take quite a long time! I didn't have quite a long time so after google, "quick naan" I found this recipe found here.

I changed just a few things, but overall kept the integrity of this recipe.  Here's my version!

Naan in Less Than an Hour
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp buttermilk
2 tbsp water
Garlic (optional, if you don't want garlic naan just omit it)

In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Add 4 tbsp buttermilk and 2 tbsp water if needed.

Knead in the bowl until smooth and cover for 30 minutes.

Preheat the heavy skillet or griddle on medium high heat. Divide your dough in two and roll into balls.

Roll on a lightly floured surface to approximately 1/4" thick. Dust off any excess flour and place on the hot skillet.  

Brush the top side with butter and toss onto the hot griddle.  Brush the now top side with butter.

When bubbles begin to form (10 to 20 seconds), flip it and brush the 2nd side. Leave it on for about a minute and take it off the heat. Enjoy the warm and fluffly naan or with my slow carb spin on chana masala!

No comments:

Post a Comment