Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Homemade Buns

After deciding to veer off the slow carb wagon, I decided to have meatball sandwiches. I had already went to the store, and since you CAN make buns at home, I made buns.  I did a very quick google search and found this recipe.  

I followed the recipe for the most part.  I used one cup of white whole wheat flour instead of all All Purpose Flour.  What I didn't like about this recipe was the amount of flour used!  The recipe method states 4 cups, but the ingredient list had 8-8.5 cups! I added probably two more cups of flour before I got tired of adding more.  I also felt that my mixer was starting to strain a bit, and the dough was climbing up the dough hook.  

The recipe is fairly simple, but boy does this bread rise! There is a lot of yeast in this bread!  I let the bread rise one time, punched it down and put in the refrigerator overnight instead of baking the same night (it was bed time when I started).  The next morning the bread was gigantic! I punched it down again, separated the dough into 16 pieces and let it rise on the counter for about 30 minutes.  I would've let it rise longer, but I had to bake these little guys and get to work!


This is after an overnight refrigerator rise!
Look at those nice big baked buns!



No comments:

Post a Comment