Saturday, October 26, 2013

How to Open a Spaghetti Squash and Why "Spaghetti" is a Misnomer

A few weeks ago, I purchased a spaghetti squash from Trader Joe's.  I was excited to try this seemingly magical and innocent winter squash.  People of the internet have shared the wonders of this happy little squash and I wanted to be part of the action.  What people don't explain, is just how difficult of a shell this little guy has.  The happy pale yellow flesh of the squash has a mean secret and this guy is one tough cookie to break.  I tried to slice it and that was impossible so it sat on my counter for a few weeks.

I finally worked up the nerve to attempt to open the squash and get through to this magical spaghetti.  I threw it into a preheated 350 oven and let it soften for about 20 minutes.  After time spent in the oven, the squash was very easy to open.  I sliced in half very easily, scooped out the seeds and threw it back in the oven after increasing the temperature to 375.  I let it roast for another 20 minutes and decided that was long enough.

The internet promised that the squash could easily be scraped into thin "noodles".  The internet was true!  You can easily scrape out the flesh with a fork and it looks quite interesting.  It's not exactly like spaghetti, but it was pretty neat to see such delicate strands come from such a difficult gourd to open.

I decided to use the remaining turkey meatballs I had to have "spaghetti" and meatballs.  This was hugely disappointing.  My squash was crunchy and flavorless.  It was not the best introduction to this "fantastic" carb replacement.

I went back to the internet and discovered a hash brown casserole made with the squash.  I decided that this would be what would make the most sense for this squash and you know what, it was.  Going forward I'm calling spaghetti squash, "hash browns" squash.  As hash browns, the inherent crunchy texture of the squash works perfectly.  When you top the hash browns with sunny side up eggs, the yolk will become absorbed into the squash just has it would with potatoes.  This is the best comfort food breakfast without feeling like a complete fatty afterwards!

Spaghetti Squash "Hash Browns"

1 tbsp butter
One medium sized Spaghetti Squash, already roasted and prepared
1 tbsp your favorite All Purpose Seasoning.  I used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute.

Heat a nonstick pan over medium high heat and add the butter.  Once the butter is melted add the squash in an even layer and add the seasoning.  Allow this to cook until the bottom side is brown, about 5 or so minutes.  Flip over and allow the top side to cook for about 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat.  Serve with eggs or your favorite breakfast dishes.

Close Up of the Squash

Check out that Steam Action!




No comments:

Post a Comment