Thursday, May 30, 2013

Slow Carb "Sloppy Joe" Chicken and Lentils Casserole

Slow Carb can be tasty and fun which is why I created/ modified a recipe I found in a google search.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find the recipe again when I went to make my version, but I think it's far off enough and common enough to not necessarily credit the idea for the recipe.

The idea for this recipe was to make a slow-carb and completely different version of a favorite Martha Stewart recipe found here.  Obviously, this recipe is not slow-carb friendly so instead of using orzo (my favorite) I used red split lentils. I left out the cheese entirely and added completely different spices to make this slightly reminiscent of sloppy joes.


I cooked the lentils and the chicken ahead of time, but just until barely done. I only baked for about 15 minutes just to finish cooking the lentils and chicken and to allow the flavors to come together in a nice saucy bath in the oven.

Slow Carb "Sloppy Joe" Chicken and Lentils Casserole

1 cup red split lentils
2 1/4 cup chicken broth, or beef broth or water or a combination of all 3
1 tbsp olive oil (or coconut if you wish)
1 onion diced
1 clove garlic minced
3 chicken breast cut in bite-sized pieces
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Preheat the oven to 400F

Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan.  Saute the onion and garlic over low heat until soft (about 10 minutes).  Add the chicken and spices and allow to cook together until almost cooked through (about 15 minutes).  Add the ketchup, maple syrup, mustard and balsamic vinegar and mix through until a sauce comes together.

At the same time, cook the lentils according to the package.  Cook the lentils until almost all the liquid is absorbed.  Pour the nearly cooked lentils into a baking dish and set to the side.

Once the chicken has nearly finished cooking and the sauce ingredients are mixed, pour over the lentils and place into the oven.  Bake for about 15 minutes. Take out, let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment