Sunday, September 29, 2013

Gluten Free Experimenting

I've started reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis and while I haven't gotten very far into it, it's been interesting so far.  I've decided that this Saturday should be a day for Gluten Free Experimenting!

I went to Trader Joe's to search for gluten free flours and stopped by Big Lots first, just for fun.  Much to my surprise, I learned that they had a huge selection of products from Bob's Red Mill! I stocked up on quite a selection of products and got a gluten free flour mix from Trader Joe's too.

Here's the selection!


For my first experiment in Gluten Free Baking I decided to start off easy with the mix that specifically said it was for making a "wonderful" homemade bread.

Does it make a good loaf?!

I followed the directions exactly this time and decided to use ingredients as close to my normal loaf as possible.  I used whole milk and butter instead of using almond milk or coconut oil, which was my second choice.

Here's what it looks like after everything is all mixed up!  It does not smell like normal bread and the dough looks like thick cake batter.

I let it rise and bake according to the directions and here's what it looks like!
Looks pretty good! It tastes pretty good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment