Monday, August 19, 2013

Abs Diet "Don't Tell Mom It's Not Meatloaf"

I wanted to further simplify my lunch and dinner repertoire so I went with this hefty Abs Diet Meatloaf recipe.  It has 8 servings so I figured that would be perfect for lunch and dinner this week! One day of cooking and then that's it! I wanted to mix it up a little bit, so I made a loaf of bread to have meatloaf sandwiches for lunch.

This meatloaf is pretty tasty and I made some modifications to it.  I had a red pepper in the fridge so I added that. I skipped the cilantro and I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh, because I wasn't sure what the recipe wanted.  I think next time I'll add some wheat germ as a binding agent too, unless I get sick of this after eating it all week and never want to eat it again (that's what happened with the salads).

So, give it a try, let me know what you think and enjoy eating healthier meatloaf!

Turkey Meatloaf
Adapted from Men's Health

1 onion diced
1 red pepper diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
2 eggs
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
Salt and Pepper
1 cup marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Coat two 9x5 inch pans with cooking spray.

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil.  Cook the onions and pepper until soft (I did mine for about 30 minutes, but 10 would be ok).  Let cool.  Meanwhile, put the turkey, eggs, garlic, cumin, tomatoes and salt and pepper in a bowl.  Add the onion and peppers and combine.  Dive between the two pans.

Spread the sauce on top (1/2 cup on each pan) and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through.  For sandwiches serve with this delicious blitz bread!

As leftovers try not to microwave the loaf.  It's ok, if you're at work and have no other option, but really what you need to do is sear it in a pan so that a bottom crust develops.  This bottom crust helps to seal in all of the delicious flavor and takes a bland meatloaf into something so delicious.  Just trust me, you'll want to sear it.  Say "NO" to the microwave!


Tasty!
Hey, sandwich, looking fine!
Extreme Close-Up!

2 comments:

  1. What would the cooking time and temperature be if you use a cupcake tin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by and for your question. I would bake at the same temperature and I would reduce the cooking time by half. Try baking for 20-25 minutes and see how that turns out. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete