Sunday, May 5, 2013

Red Split Lentils and Steak over Baby Spinach "Nachos"

For lunch, I decided to try Red Split Lentils.  I had these lentils sitting in my cabinet for awhile and thought that this new diet would be a perfect use for them.  I adapted the recipe that was on the back of the bag and served over baby spinach. I added my remaining 1/2 tomato from breakfast to add more vegetables.   I think 1/2 cup lentils is too much for one person, so be prepared for leftovers!  

The reason I added "nachos" to the end of the post title, is because oddly enough, this recipe reminds me of nachos! Don't call me crazy, but I mean it! The baby spinach adds a delightful crispness to the slightly mushy lentils, sort of like tortilla chips!  The spinach acts as a bed of crunchy tortilla chips, the lentils act as the heavy meat concoction that tops the chips. No, it really isn't nachos, but sort of a healthy tribute to nachos. 

Red Split Lentils
(adapted from Red Split Lentils recipe on back of bag from Trader Joe's)

1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup red lentils
1 1/4 cup beef broth
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes

Heat oil in pan; add lentils, toss to coat; about 1 minutes.  Add broth and seasoning.  Cover with a lid and simmer over low heat until tender and the liquids almost absorbed, about 12 minutes.

Steak
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb flank steak chopped
1/2 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
Pinch cayenne
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Heat oil in skillet over low heat.  Add peppers and onions and allow to soften.  Add chopped steak and seasoning. Cook until steak is cooked through.  

For this meal I had about 1/2 cup steak leftover.  I added the leftover steak to the cooked lentils to heat through.


For the dish:

Serve steak and lentils over a bed of baby spinach and top with chopped tomato.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment